Tuesday, May 4, 2010

more sand

Sometimes I amaze myself.  What I mean by that is despite whatever I've learned (or re-learned) or how much I've grown (or better, how much God has grown me,) I still encounter amazing pockets of foolishness and even stupidity within myself.  Sometimes I think that the only real improvement is in more quickly recognizing and acknowledging these things.

Recently I've come to recognize more clearly the erroneous dependencies I have on people around me. Resumption of writing this blog has been one of the big eye-openers; also, the behavior of some that I have had high regard for, and my associated reactions, has been unsettling.  The ongoing change at my church has also served to highlight some of this for me.  As I have written, I believe that this is an inevitable result of not keeping or having our eyes fixed on Jesus.

Anyway, here is another quote relevant to this subtle selfishness.

You must not lose confidence in God because you lost confidence in your pastor. If our confidence in God had to depend upon our confidence in any human person, we would be on shifting sand.

Francis Schaeffer

1 comment:

Toneman said...

True, I am surprised at the depth at which my sin lies, but I am more surprised at the depth at which my Father goes to retrieve and discipline me.