Wednesday, November 7, 2007

recent reflections

The turning point in our lives is when we stop seeking the God we want and start seeking the God who is.
- Patrick Morley


I have over the years thought about the fact that even the most mature Christian will tend to reduce God to understandable bounds. Not necessarily even consciously--it's just very easy to depend on what we know or understand rather than living by faith in the Lord. In Him. Several dear friends whom I greatly love and respect have talked about this here and here.

Recently I have been reflecting on this again as there are several people that I have come to know who do not know the Lord. One has even said something to the effect of, "I've read the Bible and it makes no sense." To see their lives (rudderless,) to listen to them speak (lost,) I hurt for them and pray for the right (better, the opportunity) to be heard by them and to address that error. After all, "...the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..." (emphasis mine.)

Even though I began with Patrick Morley's observation on the point, I've recently been mulling over several other quotes that have been brought to mind by all this, and I think that they are excellent thought-provokers for everyone, whether one knows the Lord or not:

If God were small enough to be understood, He would not be big enough to be worshiped.
- Evelyn Underhill

A God who let us prove his existence would be an idol.
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer


One of my favorite books is Knowledge of the Holy by A. W. Tozer. I believe it is an excellent resource in helping us think rightly about God.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great quote, or quotes rather. They really do make you stop and think.

ks said...

I like Job 37:5
"God's voice thunders in marvelous ways; he does great things beyond our understanding."

Schweers' Mom said...

I love Tozer's book - one of my favorites! I have read it several times and each time I find something new. I have highlighted that book so much that eventually it will all be highlighted.