Friday, February 29, 2008

talking with a friend

The essence of a relationship is communication. Take a moment and think about your closest friends. How do you communicate with them? How do you talk to your closest friends?

The real Christian life consists of relationships. First and foremost, our relationship with God. Then, as we grow in our relationship with Him and He grows us in our walk, we learn how to have deep, meaningful relationships with others; we can love people as Jesus commanded (John 13:34-35) and serve them as Jesus demonstrated (John 13:12-15.)

Communication. God talks to us through his Word. We talk to God in prayer. I've seen and heard a lot about prayer lately, and some of it is just weird. Are you uncomfortable comparing how you talk with a close friend to how you talk with God? I'm not suggesting that reverence be set aside and I'm not encouraging flippant informality, but I've thought a great deal about my prayer life lately and I see that it has changed from ritualistic and stiffly formal when I was younger to a continual, intimate conversation today. The author of Hebrews reminds us to come confidently, or boldly, before the throne of grace.

Jesus' disciples asked him to teach them to pray. Today he by his spirit continues to teach us to pray if we listen (Romans 8:26.) Do not despair if talking to God seems awkward; Gordon MacDonald said
Why do so many people have struggles when it comes to prayer? ... Men and women were originally created to desire communion with God. But the effects of sin have dulled most of that original human desire. Sin turned a natural activity into an unnatural function.
It is not prayer that we should reverence but God. It gets easier to talk to him as you get to know him better. Grow in your relationship with God by listening to him through Bible study--he'll reveal himself to you.
Those who know God the best are the richest and most powerful in prayer. Little acquaintance with God, and strangeness and coldness to Him, make prayer a rare and feeble thing.
--E. M. Bounds

3 comments:

ks said...

Wonderful thoughts!
What a blessing it is that the seemingly endless facets of prayer unfold over the years, providing rich, new glimpses of our amazing God and our relationship with Him. I love that verse in Jeremiah: "Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know." (33:3) How exciting to think that as long as I live there will be fresh, fascinating things to learn about my Lord! It's a relationship that never grows old; instead it grows deep and wide.

Anonymous said...

I miss your insights brother.

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

i thought it interesting today, as I drove into France listening to a sermon on my ipod... (English. Sermon. Driving. ahhhhh)
I digress...
The pastor was taking a little rabbit trail on prayer. He made the comment that he often wonders how we would feel if God came into our relationship as apathetic and lathargic as we come into our prayer time. You know? zB. Oh yeah and (yawn) ya' know (stretch) God I probably should be working on that attitude thing. I just can't seem to get it together and want to be with You...
What would happen if He were to respond. Well, MM (yawn) I'm sorry to hear that you are busy, I'm a bit busy myself (yawn) maybe i'll get around to that sometime in the 1000 years... sorry i'm just gonna lay my head down for a minute."
It just gave me such a visual and I laughed. I am thankful that even when I am not faithful He has promised to be more and more and more and more to me. Not because of ME but because of HIMSELF is He that marvelous!!!! I am so thankful.