Thursday, August 14, 2008

one of those days

Here in the Texas heat, it seems that the last several weeks have been characterized more by perspiration than inspiration, but today God has placed encouragement on my heart that I must share.

Yesterday, I kind of "hit bottom." In the evenings when I go home from work, I habitually turn on the news; if one wants encouragement, don't do this! I had sent a note of encouragement to a close friend; the response so far is silence. Candidly, he owes me no reply, but I'm disappointed. Vacation is over. The culmination of all of this, yesterday, was dejection, poor attitude, emotional fatigue. In short, I spent the day yesterday thinking of myself.

Today has been much better. It began with my brothers at my men's breakfast, spending time together in the word. But the even stronger shot in the arm, and I know it's God by his spirit whispering in my ear, came moments ago, in the form of the "random quote" that came up when I looked:
It is not after we were reconciled by the blood of his Son that God began to love us, but before the foundation of the world.

—John Calvin


The next time you have "one of those days," remember that it really is one of those, like every other: God loves you dearly, warts and all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Random quotes"... hmmm... I run into those all the time... and "random books" and "random songs"... and just about everything else that God uses to shape and mold my heart.
Be encouraged, I was when I got to hear your voice again brother. Thanks for your counsel.

Schweers' Mom said...

That is a FANTASTIC quote. I am going to "borrow" that one for my Ephesians study. Kinda fits in nicely with Ephesians 1, doesn't it?? Glad you were encouraged! Your blog always encourages me and spurs me on to good works. Thanks for writing.