Thursday, October 11, 2007

giving of what we receive

Find out how much God has given you and take from it what you need; the remainder is needed by others.

Certainly God knows and meets our needs, and I have been richly blessed over the years as I have learned to freely share what He has given me with others. But sharing material things was not what was on my heart and mind as I remembered this quote from Augustine.

I have mentioned before that I meet with a group of men on Thursday mornings for Bible study. This morning we began reading 2 Corinthians. In 2 Cor. 1:3,4 (NASB), we read,

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort,
4 who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

I've long been familiar with this passage and understood the difference between affliction in my life and God's use of affliction in my life. Many years ago when my mother passed away, that was not a good thing, but good has been realized from it as God has since then ministered through me to others who have lost parents. Just as God comforted me, others have been comforted through me.

But this morning when I reread this passage, the words so that in verse 4 jumped out at me. I guess that I always subconsciously separated God comforting me from me comforting others (granted by God's power.) But God's purpose in comforting me, His child, is more than my solace. At the time my mother died God comforted me through many loving people that surrounded me and loved on me; He comforted me so that I would be useful in His hand to comfort others.

This morning I was reminded once again that my relationship with God in Christ is not about me; it's about Him. When I live in surrender, according to His power, He has in me legs to walk with, arms to hold with, ears to hear with, tongue to speak with, mind to think with, and heart to love with. Let's give of what we receive--not only of the abundant means he may give but also of the rich blessings he pours out, always motivated by His love for us.

1 comment:

ks said...

Good thoughts!
May we all share what we are given -- whether it is dollars or mercy or possessions or patience or acceptance or whatever.
Makes me think of the old adage, "Start where you are, Use what you have, Do what you can." Even if all you have is a cup of cold water or maybe just a smile, share it!