Monday, October 29, 2007

where's your heart?

Sitting in the worship service yesterday, the worship leader at one point said something to this effect: "..I want you to take a deep breath, lay aside the stress and worry of last week, and focus on God..."

C. S. Lewis said,
The perfect church service would be one we were almost unaware of; our attention would have been on God.


Don't misunderstand--I was glad that our leader said what he did. But the fact of his comment left me thinking: How often do we bring a heart of stress and worry to our worship on Sunday rather than bringing a heart of worship to our stresses every day? It seems to me that a proper view of and relationship with God is the right starting point for every human pursuit--not just church.

2 comments:

ks said...

Ah..... "bringing a heart of worship to our stresses every day" -- such a powerful thought! I need to hang that one on the wall above my desk, on the refrigerator, in my car, etc etc etc

Unknown said...

That is cool what he said, it is just a shame that he even had to say it. How incredible it would be if every moment we spent worshiping Christ could be as Lewis stated. Thanks for giving me something to think about!