Thursday, October 4, 2007

noise

"Cease striving and know that I am God..." (Ps. 46:10) This morning, I was out walking and thinking about how busy life is. I realized (for the first time again) that the "busy-ness" of life can easily squeeze out any time to meditate on such nuggets in God's Word.

I have been considering for several days now this idea that letting the many demands of life fill each day, hour, even minute, robs one of a needed foundation for living: Time spent with God. One must be cautious and guard against the devotional time, Bible study, worship service, or even prayer becoming another task to check off of today's list. When that happens, one's relationship with God can become shallow and distant. Yet God desires intimate, personal relationship with each of His children ("I will never leave you or forsake you...")

A. W. Tozer said:

We Christians must simplify our lives or lose untold treasures on earth and in eternity. Modern civilization is so complex as to make the devotional life all but impossible. The need for solitude and quietness was never greater than it is today.


Let's resolve to take time to devote ourselves fully to God. When we do, we need never ask for blessing because it is inevitable. He also in this way equips us to overcome the challenges that life on earth throws our way.

3 comments:

Katherine said...

I needed that! Thanks for the great thoughts.

Unknown said...

How true! I'm with Kat... I have been struggling with the same thing. Nicely put!

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

read this a while back - but now I comment

God is so good at wooing me back to Him! I pray that He never allow me to step to far to the right or the left - without Him pulling me back to the center.