Sunday, July 6, 2008

again I say

I'm reminded of Philippians 3:1, where the apostle Paul writes, "Finally, my brothers, rejoice in the Lord! It is no trouble for me to write the same things to you again, and it is a safeguard for you." Now, what made me think of this verse is the phrase to write the same things to you again. For today my thoughts return to a topic that I've written about several times before--the stuff of one's relationship with God.

God speaks to us through his word; we speak to God through prayer. This basic expression of the personal relationship with God is easy to state and understand, but for many if not most Christians, it is difficult to practice. I struggle myself with the discipline needed to daily open the word and my mind to it. Prayer can easily decline to a selfish listing of wants rather than intimate communion with a friend. Perhaps that is why I felt compelled to write this short blurb, again, when I saw this statement from Hudson Taylor:

Do not have your concert first, and then tune your instrument afterwards. Begin the day with the Word of God and prayer, and get first of all into harmony with Him.

1 comment:

Tony said...

Great quote, (as always). You cannot understand the joy it was seeing you and Joyce again. Sorry to have "dumped on you" Blessings!