Tuesday, July 22, 2008

indescribable


Last year, while on a camping trip, I did a post entitled "know who did it," speaking of God and His creative genius. During my vacation in Colorado, I have been thinking of His creation again--it is difficult not to as I am surrounded by beauty: Here at Leadville, I am staring out the window of my RV at Mt. Elbert and Mt. Massive, Colorado's two tallest peaks, and the hummingbirds are just going nuts around the feeder hanging just outside. Earlier, when we had to refill it, I took it out to hang it back up and a hummingbird flew up and began feeding while I was still holding it!

I have been musing on how awesome God's creation is, and I began thinking of how to express it. Then I began to realize that to call God and His creation awesome, matchless, or for that matter any other description I could come up with is to limit Him to the bounds of the creation within which we live. For to describe something is to bound it, to limit our field of view of it, and God is truly indescribable, as is His creation.

God is infinite in all of His attributes, including His love and faithfulness. Knowing this should bring great comfort and encouragement to us. George Muller put it this way in his autobiography:

Those who trust in the Lord will never be disappointed. ...If we were to lean upon man, we would surely be disappointed; but in leaning upon the living God alone, we are beyond disappointment and beyond being forsaken for any reason.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Know you are getting some much needed rest brother. Enjoy!

Schweers' Mom said...

Wow! A hummingbird came up while you were still holding the feeder? That is amazing!

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

those who trust in the LORD will never be disappointed - thank you for the reminder. Wish I could have known Mueller...